Sunday 7 November 2010

Day 7: Dear Uncle Sebastian...

Dear Uncle Sebastian,
I miss you.

When you passed away, people hid it from me for a week, but I knew something was wrong.

You were the reason I would go to Sicily, and now it's not the same without you.

I wish I wrote you more, I wish I called you more, I wish I sent you more of my artwork that you liked to see.

Did you know this photo of you won me awards? I even sold a copy.

When I was little, I always thought you were a gentle gorilla. You were always so calm and wise. You knew what was going on without having to say a word. But the final word was yours, always.

Sicilian tradition, Sicilian respect.

Your voice was very gentle, and when I asked you how you how you courted my Aunt Maria, you laughed and said you went to her house everyday until she said yes.

I miss our laughing about how she would always yell about the remote being on the table...

You were lucky in the war, but not so lucky as a parent.

I wished we'd lived closer so I could come hear your stories more often.

My favourite uncle.

I love you so much.

x

No comments:


Where in the World...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...